What is Non-Functional Testing?
Non-Functional testing is the type of software testing to test non-functional requirements such as:
- is software application reliable?
- can it take X amount of load?
- how well, it will perform when the user is trying to perform similar action?
- how is the usability of the application?
- does it follow security standards and compliance?
Non-Functional Testing Parameters
Security testing parameter defines how secure the software application is and whether is it designed in such a way as to safeguard against international and sudden attacks from internal and/or external sources.
This parameter evaluates how well the system will perform in the case of continuous usage without failing.
This parameter evaluates if the system is scalable meaning when there is high demand system should be scalable to process it.
This parameter evaluates if the system is available and able to serve the request all the time furthermore downtime is minimum.
This parameter evaluates if the system runs smoothly and can self-heal in the event of a malfunction.
This parameter evaluates if the part of the system can be used with another system.
This parameter evaluates if the system can handle capacity, quantity, and response time.
This parameter evaluates if the system can be used with ease and all the required functions can be accessed without any confusion and the user journey is simple and self-explanatory.
This parameter evaluates if the system/interface can work well when interacting with another system.
This parameter evaluates if the system is flexible enough to run with various software and hardware configuration.
This parameter evaluates if the system can shift from its existing software or hardware configuration.
Types Non-Functional Testing
Following are some of the Non-Functional testing types:
Test Cases Examples of Non-Functional Testing
|Test Case No#
|Type of Non-Functional Testing
|Test Case Example Description
|1) All the pages should load within 5 seconds.
2) User should be able to log in during peek hours (e.g. Thanksgiving Day)
3) System should be able to process 100K orders.
|1) Software applications should be accessible from all Web browsers.
2) Software applications can be installed on all types of Windows and/or Mac machines.
3) Media can be played on all browsers.
4) User should be able to upload Avtar from all Mobile devices.
2) User is not able to path traversal.
3) User is not able to access the system without valid authentication.
4) User is not able to use the secure token more than once.
|1) Images on the web page should have alt tags.
2) User is able to access the application using a mouse or keyboard.
What Do You Think?
Did this work for you?
Could I have done something better?
Have I missed something?
Please share your thoughts using the Contact Us form. Also, let me know if there are particular things that you would enjoy reading further.